This recipe is ideal for those evenings when you want something comforting, and you want it fast! It is absolutely delicious and it only takes 15 minutes to prepare. The result is a beautiful combination of pasta and vegetables (and tender chicken breast, if you prefer), in a creamy, wonderfully cheesy sauce – this is what I call “a real comfort food in a hurry”.
This is one of my favourite recipes for a quick mid-week meal. It’s a vegetarian recipe however, for those of you who love meat – chicken breast goes really well and it can be added to the frying pan prior to everything else. In terms of pasta choice – any pasta type would work, but my go to choices are Fusilli and Penne.
15-minute Creamy Veggie Pasta
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pepper any colour works
- 100 g mushrooms
- one red onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 200 g pasta Fussili or Penne work best
- 2 tbsp fresh cream (cream fraiche)
- 2 tsp dark soy sauce
- 20 g grated cheese Cheddar or Emmental
- salt and pepper to taste
- grated Parmesan to garnish
- finely chopped parsley to garnish
- Put the pasta to boil according to the instructions on the packet. In the mean time slice the pepper and the mushrooms.
- Heat the oil in a wok or a frying pan, on a medium heat and stir in the mushrooms and peppers. Cook under a lid for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. While the vegetables are cooking, slice the red onion and crush, and mince the garlic. Then add to the pan with 2-3 tbsp of water, to prevent them from burning. Continue to cook everything together for about a minute.
- Add the cream and the soy sauce and season (please note that ,as the soy sauce is salty, you might not need to add much salt). Stir in the grated cheddar, then add the pasta (at this point the pasta should be ready, but if it isn't, just put the sauce one the side, until the pasta is ready).
- Once combined leave to stand in the pan for few minutes, so the pasta can absorb the sauce a little. Divide in two portions and garnish each with grated Parmesan, and finely copped parsley, to your linking.
Please, let me know if you decide to try this recipe, in the comments section below. I would love to hear from you!