This is my mum’s simple homemade recipe for a single-layered chocolate cake. It is egg and dairy-free and really delicious. It goes brilliantly with her Dark Chocolate recipe – it’s all made from scratch.
Homemade Single Layer Chocolate Cake
- 1 cup Coconut Yogurt I use Alpro
- 1/3 cup Olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup Sugar
- 1 cup Plain flour
- 1 cup Rolled oats or oat flour
- 1/4 cup Ground nuts I use walnuts and pecans
- 1 tbsp Flax seeds Optional
- 1/2 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda or baking power
- 1/2 cup frozen fruit I use cherries
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (Fan 170°C).Begin by mixing the coconut yogurt, sugar and oil in a deep mixing bowl. Once combined, add the rest of the ingredients except of the frozen fruit and stir until well combined.
- Add the frozen fruit and gently fold in the mixture.
- Pour the mixture in an oiled cake tin and bake on the middle shelf for around 30 minutes (time will vary depending on the appliance, so I advise you to check every 5 minutes after the 20th minute of baking). Bake until a knife comes out clean, when pierced.